The story looks at the ramifications of not being in harmony with truth. The voice, our main way of expressing ourselves, is the primary symbol in this story. When we compromise truth, we will find our voice lost as well… Learn more
We went right back to Hans Christian’s version and looked at what he was really trying to express. One of the most beloved fairytales of all time, now with the magic of an Alpha Show! Learn more
Alpha’s The Little Mermaid humourously and powerfully captures the magic of what is Hans Christian Andersen’s classic tale of tragedy and love from another world. Without the depressing ending! This was Hans’ favourite story that he wrote, but the fairytale very much mimicked and reflected his own pain about never finding love, or the loss of love once received.
We obviously believe in the power of love and wanted a moving story that also highlighted what might prevent us from receiving and creating a life that is full of love – a lack of truth. So our Ariel is like many teenagers, afraid of her dad’s anger and lies to protect herself and hide her true desires of being part of the overland and humanity.
These powerful metaphors move us at a deep level beyond what we consciously perceive. The show also has a great pace and energy, with lots of standard Alpha gags that audiences love and some new comedy that we’ve never tried before! With some familiar and some very original Alpha characters like a New Zealand sea horse and an Aussie yabbi, we know you’ll find the whole show hilarious and entertaining!
Fears from childhood of being truthful are a part of almost everyone’s soul. There are powerful emotional reasons that stop us from being in truth, not only with others, but also with ourselves. This show looks at the consequences of being out of harmony with truth, and how to emotionally process the causes behind this desire.
Truth is one of the most important lessons to learn on the path to a more loving soul. This show beautifully and lovingly deals with the issue without preaching.
Teacher Notes: For use before/after show:
Values based Q/A : Prep – Yr 8:
- Suitable for all audiences, families work well, age 4 upwards to age 14, although due to length of show you may want to advertise that the show is aimed at age 6 to 14.
- Modular set, 10 metres wide, height 4.2m. Underwater Kingdom, Sea Witches Lair, Real Ship set, On the Sea, Outside Prince’s Castle and Inside Prince’s Castle. Fits perfectly on a stage, connects to wings.
- Price for 1 show $2000 + GST (max audience 300)
- Price for 2 shows $3100 + GST (max audience 600)
- Modular set, about 9 metres wide. Height clearance for Underwater scene about 4.2 metres
- Suitability: Prep/Kinders/Pre-school to Year 6 in Primary Schools, Year 7 to Year 12 in High Schools (we can adapt show for older audiences)
- Duration: 90 minutes + Question Time / Set up time: 90 minutes
- Space needed: 10m x 10m cleared space (MINIMUM)
- Power: 3 phase OR 2 power points on separate circuits
- Fog Machine: venue must have smoke detectors isolated
- Show start: 9:15am or 1:45pm (for 1 show); 9:15am/11:30am (2 shows)
- Cast arrive at 7:45am or 12:30pm
- A specific date and time cannot be guaranteed (even if you have paid a deposit); although we will work with you to find the best time suitable
- A booking deposit of $300 applies at time of booking to reserve your date – note this only confirms your date, not other details (like audience size). Alpha does not take bookings without a deposit.
- The booking deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE under any circumstances
- A cancellation fee of $500 (per show/day) in addition to the booking deposit applies to all cancellations received up to 7 days before show.
- PLUS other conditions, click link to read full terms
Show booking options:
Choose your price depending on our conditions:
Referral Rate per student
- Min Audience 250 students
- You must refer a different school
- They must book an additional show to yours for 150 min students @ $8 rate and pay a $300 deposit
Annual, whole school rate per student
- Min audience 180 students
- Annual Booking (for repeat customers)
- Book 2 years in advance (for first time customers)
- Must be for whole school
Standard rate per student
- Min audience 150 students
- First booking
- Or repeat customer not booking for whole school
- Or repeat customer not booking annually
- For audiences less than 150
- Maximum audience 150
- Price for any school with low student numbers
- If you are booking at this rate for only a few grade levels, you are encouraged to get other year levels on board to make up the numbers to at least 150, to save you money per student
Now, choose the tour of your choice and click through to make a booking or send an enquiry:
Touring to: Brisbane
For more information on The Alpha Show of The Little Mermaid, click here.